Full text: Beauties of continental architecture

Calais is a well-known sea-port of France, situated in the the Department of 
the Pas-de-Calais, opposite Dover, at the place where the passage across the 
straits to England is the shortest. Some' authors believe Calais to be the Portus 
Iccius of the Romans, which, at all events, must have been at no great distance. 
Till the year 1228 it was only a village, but at that time it was begun to be 
fortified, and the Citadel was commenced. The Port was made under Baldwin IV. 
Count of Flanders, called Fair Beard, or The Bearded; and Philip, Count of 
Boulogne, caused it to be wholly surrounded with walls. Edward III. King of 
England, took it by capitulation in 1347. The devoted patriotism of some of the 
citizens of Calais on this occasion, especially the heroism of Eustace de St. Pierre, 
is highly commended by historians. Calais remained in the possession of the 
English till the year 1558, when it was taken by surprise by the Duke of Guise. 
Calais is now one of the most important towns of the kingdom, with a good 
Citadel, an Arsenal, and a well fortified Port. It is not large, but pretty well built, 
having several good houses and fine churches. The parish Church is the work 
of the English. The streets are pretty broad and straight. That which begins at 
the Gate on the land side, and ends at the Port, is the most considerable ; it 
passes through the principal square, where the Town Hall is situated, the Tower 
of which is considered to be a good piece of architecture. In 1813 the population 
of Calais was 7000 souls : it was more considerable before the revolution. Peace 
having established the intercourse with England, it has since increased rapidly ; in 
1827 it was from 8 to 9000 souls.

Note to user

Dear user,

In response to current developments in the web technology used by the Goobi viewer, the software no longer supports your browser.

Please use one of the following browsers to display this page correctly.

Thank you.